The law firm of Geddy, Harris, Franck & Hickman, LLP has the distinction of being the oldest firm in Williamsburg, Virginia, tracing its roots back to the early 20th century. Rich in history, we possess the in-depth knowledge and understanding of the Commonwealth of Virginia's legal system that is essential in providing the finest defense for the citizens of our community. Our attorneys continue to serve the people of Williamsburg with the same dedication and conviction as in our early days.
It all began in an office on Duke of Gloucester Street, which served as home to the law practice of Ashton M. Dovell, former Speaker of the Virginia House of Delegates. His secretary, Mary Inman, read law under his supervision in her spare time. In 1932, she became one of the first women attorneys for the Commonwealth of Virginia, and later served as the City of Williamsburg's first attorney.
Vernon M. Geddy, Sr., who was the first President of the Colonial Williamsburg Foundation, began practicing law in 1920 on the second floor of the Peninsula Bank on Duke of Gloucester Street. He took over Mr. Dovell's practice upon his death in 1949. Together with Mary Inman, Mr. Geddy and his son, Vernon M. Geddy, Jr. established the law firm of Geddy & Geddy in 1952. Mr. Geddy, Sr. passed away later that year, and Miss Inman and Mr. Geddy, Jr. continued practicing in their Restored Area office at the corner of England and Francis Streets until Sidney J. Baker joined them in 1962. Geddy, Baker & Inman was formed, and the practice was moved to the Nicholson Shop building at 137 York Street of the Restored Area.
Stephen D. Harris partnered with that firm in 1967, and Geddy, Baker & Harris was established upon Miss Inman’s retirement in 1969. Mr. Baker left the firm in 1973, and the practice continued as Geddy & Harris until 1980 when it merged with McGuire, Woods, Battle & Boothe, a firm with offices then-located in Richmond and Charlottesville.
In 1991, Vernon Geddy, Jr., Stephen Harris and Vernon Geddy, III formed Geddy, Harris & Geddy. Susanna B. Hickman began working with them in 1993, and the practice moved to 516 South Henry Street across from the Courthouse, where Sheldon M. Franck joined them in 1999.
Geddy, Harris, Franck & Hickman, LLP was established in 2002, and moved to its present location at 1177 Jamestown Road. Andrew M. Franck joined the firm in 2002 and was named partner in 2007. Vernon M. Geddy, Jr. passed away in 2005.
Areas of Practice